Wednesday, January 4, 2012

R's #10: Knit an item of clothing

I've decided to knit an item of clothing for Bella, I thought a little cardigan would be just the thing! I'm sure it'll be ready in time for next winter... that is winter 2013!


I visited my local yarn store this morning and I am now the proud owner of a pair of 4mm bamboo knitting needles ($6.50) and two balls of hot pink cotton 5 ply yarn ($3 each). The pattern is called Kina, it's from a French company called Kids Tricots and it cost me €3 (or $3.89) and that was for a PDF download (got to love instant gratification!).


The pattern is in English so that's a good start right? It's a one piece knit (from the top down) and is a mix of stocking stitch (the main part) and garter stitch (the edges). See, don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about!
So I guess now would be a great time to talk about my knitting experience (or rather lack thereof!). I love creating things, sewing would have to be my favourite crafting activity but knitter I am not! Not for lack of trying though, I have many, many, many half knitted (wonky) scarves and only just started blankets to prove my determination to learn how to knit. Though I've never attempted to knit anything that wasn't square or rectangular before so this could well end up being a lesson in humility!

As soon as I remember how to cast on I'll knit up 26 stitches by 36 rows, this in theory should measure 10cm x 10cm and if it does then it means that I'll (also in theory) knit the right size cardigan for Bella. All I can say is wish me luck and I'll keep you updated!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love THAT pattern, cannot wait to see what you create!!! Progress piccies? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the finished product, I'm sure it'll be terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute pattern hun, good luck! Can't wait to see it on Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I'll need to do a progress post soon, I've already done about 8 rows LOL!

    ReplyDelete