Saturday, January 28, 2012

Passionfruit crème brûlée!

I ticked item 4 off my bucket list on Australia Day...I made passionfruit crème brûlée! I wanted to do a crème brûlée with a little flavour and the passion fruits are lovely at the moment! Scott picked me up a blow torch thingy (I'm sure that's the technical term right?) from Mel when he went to cooking school and otherwise all I needed was eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla pods and passion fruit. Simple!


Making the brûlée was actually pretty easy:





  1. Heat the cream with the vanilla seeds and split pods to just below boiling
  2. Mix the egg yolks and sugar till they are lighter in colour and thicker.
  3. Strain the cream mixture and add very slowly to the egg mixture.
  4. Add the strained passion fruit pulp and mix well.
  5. Pour into ramekins and bake (in a water bath) until just set.
  6. Refrigerate until chilled.
  7. Sprinkle a teaspoon of caster sugar over the top and brûlée!


On Thursday I didn't chill them before doing the blow torching and the custard was too runny (but still delicious) but I brûléed a couple more tonight from cold and they were awesome! The caramel on top made that awesome crack as the spoon went through and the custard was a wonderful consistency!

Alex really enjoyed breaking the shell and of course he was fascinated by the blow torch which of course is under lock and key, can't be too careful with such a curious little boy like Alex!



I enjoyed trying a new cooking technique, I think I might try a soufflé next!

1 comment:

  1. I can vouch for the awesome yumminess of the finished product as well. Nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete